Imagine a movie with no plot, no characters, no actors, no dialogue, no narration, no stunts, no CGI, no special effects and no sound – only super minimalist music. HOW is this movie not a complete boring train wreck?
In this episode, Alex shares his love for a groundbreaking 1980s movie that is utterly beautiful and fascinating and which has inspired so many other works including Madonna music videos, Zach Snyder’s Watchmen and the Grand Theft Auto video game.
- Death of the author
- German expressionist cinema
- Citizen Kane
- How NOT to eat marmite
In the Moment Of Meta, Alex and Katie follow up on Katie’s previous challenge to “say yes” to new adventure and share what happened when they did.
Orcas are awesome and Katie is ready to give you all the reasons why – including their intelligence, playfulness and understanding of fluid dynamics.
You can also learn why they are, surprisingly, neither killers nor whales!
BTWs include: What Orcas are called in Danish and (obviously) Free Willy!
In the Moment Of Meta we officially announce the 10th enthusiandment.
- Orca’s Extraordinary Hunting Technique | A Perfect Planet | BBC Earth
- Killer Whales Working Together to Hunt Seals on Ice | BBC Earth
- The Humpback and the Killer
- Are Dolphins OP? | The Whale Tier List
- How the Killer Whale Avoids Eating People, Helped 19th-Century Whalers, and Became Public Enemy Number One | Blog | Nature | PBS
The Moomin Trolls are nothing but cute, cuddly, innocent kids’ stories right? Wrong!
And the creator of the Moomins, Tove Jansson, was just a kids’ writer, right? WRONG! She was also a novelist, poet, painter and all-round badass and Alex shares 5 reasons why you should be enthusiastic about her,
BTWs include queer erasure, dancing and lesbian cottage core.
In the moment of meta Katie talks about saying “YES!” to new adventures.
- Which Moomin character are you?
- Tove Jansson Garm covers are some of her first published artworks
- Pippi and the Moomins served as a social antidote to fascism | Aeon Essays
- The dark side of the Moomins – Prospect Magazine
- Inside Tove Jansson’s Private Universe | The New Yorker
- BBC Documentary: The Life of Tove Jansson
- Draw Landscapes Like Tove Jansson ~ See How I Study a Moomin illustration ~ Timelapse Pen Drawing
How does this movie even work? A 70-year old grandpa and his wife make the most insane, over-the-top, high octane action movie EVER? Alex has a theory: It works only because EVERY element of it is insane.
BTWs include feminism, Aliens and Mel Gibson.
In the moment of meta Katie talks about being enthusiastic about your hobbies when you also get paid to do them.
Of all the drag queens in all the world Katie loves Trixie Mattel the most and in this episode you’ll hear a ton of reasons why you should be enthusiastic about her too. This includes her insane work ethic, how funny she is and of course her long-standing partnership with Katia.
Moment Of Meta
RRR (Rise, Roar and Revolt) is a brand-new Indian movie that has Katie VERY enthusiastic because of the insane action, the crazy high energy and the men’s fashions. Just don’t talk to her about whatever it is the women are wearing!
It is a HUGE blockbuster in India and worldwide and you can see it on Netflix right now – but first listen to this episode to hear exactly how awesome it is.
- What is Tollywood and why is it different from Bollywood
- Why you should watch RRR with British people
Moment Of Meta
In the Moment Of Meta we talk about an ad that enraged Alex and how to use hobbies as a source of enthusiasm.
Bees? Yes, bees! They’re cute, they give us honey and without them we wouldn’t have food. And as all of our listeners probably know by now… WE LIKE FOOD!
Learn how bees communicate through dance and pheromones and how they’ve evolved into the perfect pollinators for all of the plants we rely on.
In the Moment Of Meta, we review the 9 enthusiandments we’ve proposed so far:
- Don’t yuck someone else’s yum!
- Any topic can be fascinating when presented with enthusiasm.
- Make sure to share your enthusiasms enthusiastically (you are not too much).
- Thou shalt not fake enthusiasm!
- You don’t have to participate in something to be enthusiastic about it.
- It’s OK to be enthusiastic about something that is flawed.
- Be enthusiastic about people. Always tell your friends what you like about them.
- You don’t have to be an expert in something to be enthusiastic about it (but researching a thing can deepen your enthusiasm for it).
- Seek out adjacent enthusiasms.
Do you have a suggestion for number 10? Tell us all about it in a comment.
This classic 70s album by Mike Oldfield has no songs, no lyrics and no singles. Instead it has 49 minutes of genre-defying, beautiful, challenging and utterly innovative music. So why does Alex love it so much and how did something this weird become a huge hit?
- Peaking too soon in life
- Why horror movies suck
- How to diss someone in morse code in your music
- Musical marmite
In the Moment Of Meta, Katie talks about why we shouldn’t just look for consent – we should be enthusiasm detectives.
STOP! Please do no to listen to this episode before you’ve watched the movie. Seriously. We mean it! The movie is SO GOOD but it’s even better if you go in not knowing ANYTHING about it. So go watch it now and then come back here and se why this is Katie’s new favorite movie.
We will say that it includes Michelle Yeoh in the role of her life! And nothing else.
- Stream the movie on Amazon or Google Play.
- The Philosophy of Everything Everywhere All At Once
- BEHIND THE SCENES | EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE [SPOLIERS] | MARTIAL CLUB
- Michelle Yeoh Breaks Down ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ Scene with Directors | Vanity Fair
- ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ Cast On Their New Genre-Bending Movie | Around the Table
- The Original interview I saw where I learned about Everything Everywhere All at Once:Michelle Yeoh Breaks Down Her Most Iconic Characters | GQ
- Turn down for What MV: DJ Snake, Lil Jon – Turn Down for What