People have a TON of misconceptions about the banjo and often dismiss it as the instrument of hillbillies or rednecks. But did you know that it’s an instrument with a huge history and tradition that can be both loud, fun and… sexy?
Our guest enthusiast in this episode is Daniel Rodrigues, a Portuguese jazz musician living in Copenhagen where he plays in several different jazz bands and he is VERY enthusiastic about the banjo.
Daniel takes us on a journey of the banjo, that includes:
- Why it’s the most fun instrument
- How to find success and fame as a banjo player
- The weirdest song he’s ever played on a banjo
- The best jokes people tell about the banjo
And yes, the movie Deliverance does come up.
- A fantastic connection between the banjo and Harpo Marx, the subject from our very first episode.
- Game of Thrones.
In our Moment of Meta we talk about the most important rule of enthusiasts everywhere: Don’t yuck someone else’s yum!
- Daniel’s bands: Dusty Rag Jazz Band (New Orleans jazz), The Lindy Syncopators (Swing music), Les Gitanes (Gypsy jazz).
- Daniel playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7MGOxM9NQ
- Eddie Peabody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KESgZT4aYSA
- Bela Fleck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9XDUBDMNuk
- Earl Scruggs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQIJuu3N5EY
- A clip of the “Banjo” character from The Man Who Came To Dinner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dWAN4D3WEE