Welcome to the podcast that celebrates unironic enthusiasm. Your hosts, both highly experienced enthusiasts, take each other (and you) on tours of topics that are fun, fascinating and exciting.
Topics include historical figures, media, music, science, movies, books, comic books and much more. There are sometimes guests who share their enthusiasms and there are detours into even weirder stuff, as the fancy strikes us.
Listen for the three words you love to hear: “By the way…”
People have a LOT of misconceptions about the banjo and often dismiss it as the instrument of hillbillies or rednecks. But did you know that it’s an instrument with a huge history and tradition that can be both loud, fun and… sexy?
Our guest enthusiast in this episode is Daniel Rodrigues, a Portuguese jazz musician living in Copenhagen where he plays in several different jazz bands and he is VERY enthusiastic about the banjo.
Daniel takes us on a journey of the banjo, that includes:
- Why it’s the most fun instrument
- How to find success and fame as a banjo player
- The weirdest song he’s ever played on a banjo
- The best jokes people tell about the banjo
And yes, the movie Deliverance does come up.
- A fantastic connection between the banjo and Harpo Marx, the subject from our very first episode.
- Game of Thrones.
In our Moment of Meta we talk about the single most important rule of enthusiasts everywhere: Don’t yuck someone else’s yum.
- Daniel’s bands: Dusty Rag Jazz Band (New Orleans jazz), The Lindy Syncopators (Swing music), Les Gitanes (Gypsy jazz).
- Daniel playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7MGOxM9NQ
- Eddie Peabody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KESgZT4aYSA
- Bela Fleck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9XDUBDMNuk
- Earl Scruggs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQIJuu3N5EY
- A clip of the “Banjo” character from The Man Who Came To Dinner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dWAN4D3WEE
Latest Blog Posts
- Don’t yuck someone else’s yumDo you want to have more enthusiasm in your life? Here’s a rule we suggest: Don’t yuck someone else’s yum. In other words, if someone really likes something, but you don’t, never try to talk them out of liking it. We talk about this golden commandment of enthusiasm (or enthusiandment) at 22:00 in episode 3 …
- Episode 3: The Banjo – Loud, Fun And… Sexy?Listen on: Spotify, Apple Podcast, Google Podcast, other platforms… People have a TON of misconceptions about the banjo and often dismiss it as the instrument of hillbillies or rednecks. But did you know that it’s an instrument with a huge history and tradition that can be both loud, fun and… sexy? Our guest enthusiast in …
- Enthusiastic podcast guests wantedWe are looking for highly enthusiastic guests for some of our upcoming podcast episodes. Are you super excited about something and willing to share your passion with us and our enthusiastic audience? Let us know in a comment here. You get bonus points if your enthusiasm is for something unusual that people think could not …
- Our very first review!!!The very first review of the podcast is in, from Broc Edwards who runs the Midlife Mastery podcast. Thanks for the kind words, Broc! I was previously a guest on Broc’s awesome podcast – you can hear that episode here.
Meet your hosts.
They’re enthusiastic and they know it.
Katie has been practising unironic enthusiasm her entire life. She has never once known what it was like to be ironically cool. If you ever need someone to ramble at you for hours about vintage jazz, all things food-related, cartoons and podcasts, I’m your girl!
Alex was probably born enthusiastic. It’s not like he finds everything fascinating, just a lot of things. Or more like a ton of things. Actually, nearly everything excites him. Dammit! He’s especially into swing dancing, sci-fi, snowboarding, CrossFit, 80s pop music, cooking food, eating food, playing the ukulele, leftist videos on YouTube, improv comedy… dammit!