In this episode we talk food and that gets Katie REALLY excited as she shares her enthusiasm for Hong Kong’s Cha Chaan Tengs – cheap informal diners that serve a bizarre but delicious Asian take on the western food that the British served in their restaurants.
Hear about the pineapple buns that contain zero pineapple, the deep fried peanut butter french toast and Katie’s mom’s favorite midnight snack: macaroni soup.
Katie even gets Alex to make some Hong Kong milk tea and try it on the show… hear if he likes it.
- The most disgusting food Anthony Bourdain ever tasted
- Why you never drink the first tea they bring you in a Cha Chaan Teng
- Impulsive tattoos
- How to make straight people come out as straight
Moment Of Meta
In the Moment Of Meta we talk about the research that shows that enthusiasm is good for you and can lead to more happiness and a better sex life. Katie and Alex also take a test that reveals their top strengths and biggest weaknesses.
- How to prepare the perfect cup of Hong Kong-style milk tea
- Hong Kong Milk Tea: An Authentic Recipe
- Hong Kong-Style French Toast (西多士)
- A full Cha Chaan Teng Breakfast video: A Classic Hong Kong Diner Dish That Came from British Rule
- Learn more about the opium wars and the formation of the British colony: First Opium War – Trade Deficits and the Macartney Embassy – Extra History – #1
- Take the VIA character strengths survey
- The Big 5 personality test and Openness to Experience