“Is Tom Waits for real?”
That is the question that pops up when you google him and in this episode we try to figure that out. But first Alex gushes over the weirdest man in showbiz and tries hard to get Katie to appreciate his music, his acting, his life and his voice. That last one is an especially hard sell.
Also: THIS IS OUR 25TH EPISODE!!! Not bad for a couple of hosts whose strengths do not include things like perseverance, planning and general sticktoitiveness.
BTWs include artists who play a persona and why Shrek 2 is the best sequel of all times
In the moment of meta Katie introduces a new enthusiandment: Explore adjacent enthusiasm or in other words if you like a thing, check out other things that are like that first thing.
- Waltzing Matilda (Or Tom Traubert’s Blues Or Four Sheets To The Wind In Copenhagen)
- Tom Waits in Shrek 2: A Little Drop Of Poison
- One of Waits’ earlier more schmaltzy songs: Looking For The Heart Of Saturday Night
- One of Waits’ later cinematic/theatrical songs: Circus
- One of Waits’ later really weird songs: What’s He Building In There
- The lyrics Alex quotes are from this song: Kentucky Avenue
- Bruce Springsteen and Tom Waits perform Jersey Girl live together
- Diana Krall’s cover of Temptation
- Tom Waits in Fisher King
- Tom Waits on Letterman: Free The Glutens
- Induction into the Rock’n’Roll hall of fame
- Bones How on working with Tom Waits