Mel Brooks’ cult classic Star Wars parody is dumb, yes… but Katie argues that it works so well for four main reasons – and she is happy to tell you all about them. So dive in with us and get surrounded by assholes.
Is it the costumes? The visuals? Jenna Ortega? That dance scene? Christina Ricci?
Alex has never seen a single Addams Family movie or TV show episode. He doesn’t particularly like Tim Burton and he’s not a fan of high school drama. So why did he love Wednesday, Netflix’s new hit show? Let’s see if we can figure it out.
BTWs include Parks&Rec, Brooklyn 99 and Fred Armisen.
- Parks and Rec – funny jail scene
- MLEP(CLAY)NOS First Scene | Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- Making Of WEDNESDAY Part 3 – Best Of Behind The Scenes With Jenna Ortega | Creating Sets & Costumes
- Ravelry: The Wednesday Vest pattern by Sylvie Bouffard
- Wednesday Addams sexy Halloween costume
- Get to know WEDNESDAY’s Jenna Ortega, Luis Guzmán, & the rest of the new Addams Family | TV Insider
- Wednesday Addams vs. Thing | Official Clip | Netflix
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine – Danish is a garbage language
- Costume Designer Colleen Atwood Talks Crafting Wednesday Addams’s Style
Taylor Swift is more than just a pop star – she has changed the music industry in some really interesting ways.
Katie is not a real Swiftie but she is very enthusiastic about the savvy way Taylor Swift has controlled her career and media image.
BTWs include copyright law and who has the worst fanbase.
- Taylor Swift – You Belong With Me
- president barack obama – kanye west – jackass (actual video) 2009.09.16
- The anatomy of Taylor Swift’s “Style”
- Cover: The Power of Taylor Swift | Time
- How Taylor Swift (Legally) Changed Music Forever ft. Rick Beato
- Taylor Swift claims Scooter Braun and Scott Borchetta are blocking her from performing and using her own songs
- Taylor Swift: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert
- Taylor Swift – Blank Space
Kate Bush’s song Running Up That Hill made it to #1 in the UK, 37 years after it was released when they used it in Stranger Things.
Alex has been a fan of Kate Bush since the 80s and when a listener suggested we do an episode on her, he got to research her and find out just how awesome she is.
BTWs include drag queens vs. evil Disney queens.
- Kate Bush – Cloudbusting – Official Music Video
- Kate Bush – Wuthering Heights – Official Music Video – Version 1 (white dress)
- Kate Bush – Wuthering Heights – Official Music Video – Version 2 (red dress)
- Kate Bush – Running Up That Hill – Official Music Video
- Kate Bush – Babooshka – Official Music Video
- Kate Bush – Tour Of Life – Nationwide Documentary 1979 (BEST QUALITY)
- Kate Bush interview on Woman’s Hour – 22 June 2022
- KATE BUSH – TOUR OF LIFE (complete show – 1979)
- How ‘Stranger Things’ Landed the Kate Bush Song ‘Running Up That Hill’ – Variety
- The Enduring, Incandescent Power of Kate Bush | The New Yorker
- I claim Kate Bush for dance
In the moment of meta Katie talks about 2 new mottos that she believes are essential to enthusiasm:
- It’s OK to make mistakes
- Don’t blame others – or yourself
Imagine a movie with no plot, no characters, no actors, no dialogue, no narration, no stunts, no CGI, no special effects and no sound – only super minimalist music. HOW is this movie not a complete boring train wreck?
In this episode, Alex shares his love for a groundbreaking 1980s movie that is utterly beautiful and fascinating and which has inspired so many other works including Madonna music videos, Zach Snyder’s Watchmen and the Grand Theft Auto video game.
- Death of the author
- German expressionist cinema
- Citizen Kane
- How NOT to eat marmite
In the Moment Of Meta, Alex and Katie follow up on Katie’s previous challenge to “say yes” to new adventure and share what happened when they did.
The Moomin Trolls are nothing but cute, cuddly, innocent kids’ stories right? Wrong!
And the creator of the Moomins, Tove Jansson, was just a kids’ writer, right? WRONG! She was also a novelist, poet, painter and all-round badass and Alex shares 5 reasons why you should be enthusiastic about her,
BTWs include queer erasure, dancing and lesbian cottage core.
In the moment of meta Katie talks about saying “YES!” to new adventures.
- Which Moomin character are you?
- Tove Jansson Garm covers are some of her first published artworks
- Pippi and the Moomins served as a social antidote to fascism | Aeon Essays
- The dark side of the Moomins – Prospect Magazine
- Inside Tove Jansson’s Private Universe | The New Yorker
- BBC Documentary: The Life of Tove Jansson
- Draw Landscapes Like Tove Jansson ~ See How I Study a Moomin illustration ~ Timelapse Pen Drawing
Of all the drag queens in all the world Katie loves Trixie Mattel the most and in this episode you’ll hear a ton of reasons why you should be enthusiastic about her too. This includes her insane work ethic, how funny she is and of course her long-standing partnership with Katia.
Moment Of Meta
RRR (Rise, Roar and Revolt) is a brand-new Indian movie that has Katie VERY enthusiastic because of the insane action, the crazy high energy and the men’s fashions. Just don’t talk to her about whatever it is the women are wearing!
It is a HUGE blockbuster in India and worldwide and you can see it on Netflix right now – but first listen to this episode to hear exactly how awesome it is.
- What is Tollywood and why is it different from Bollywood
- Why you should watch RRR with British people
Moment Of Meta
In the Moment Of Meta we talk about an ad that enraged Alex and how to use hobbies as a source of enthusiasm.