Bees – Fuzzy, cute and essential for our survival
Bees? Yes, bees! They’re cute, they give us honey and without them we wouldn’t have food. And as all of our listeners probably know by now… WE LIKE FOOD!
Learn how bees communicate through dance and pheromones and how they’ve evolved into the perfect pollinators for all of the plants we rely on.
In the Moment Of Meta, we review the 9 enthusiandments we’ve proposed so far:
- Don’t yuck someone else’s yum!
- Any topic can be fascinating when presented with enthusiasm.
- Make sure to share your enthusiasms enthusiastically (you are not too much).
- Thou shalt not fake enthusiasm!
- You don’t have to participate in something to be enthusiastic about it.
- It’s OK to be enthusiastic about something that is flawed.
- Be enthusiastic about people. Always tell your friends what you like about them.
- You don’t have to be an expert in something to be enthusiastic about it (but researching a thing can deepen your enthusiasm for it).
- Seek out adjacent enthusiasms.
Do you have a suggestion for number 10? Tell us all about it in a comment.
Weird Animal Mating Habits – Do It Like They Do On The Discovery Channel
Most species have sex but some have found VERY innovative, funny, strange or just downright bizarre ways of doing it and for some reason, Katie knows a LOT about this weird world. So does Jo, an animal keeper and trainer and our first ever repeat guest.
Learn why giraffes drink pee, what terrifying shape a duck’s penis has, why anglerfish males are the ultimate clingy boyfriends and much more.
Body Disposition – Wanna Be A Tree When You Die?
We hate to break it to you, but you are going to die. What do you want people to do with your corpse?
The most popular options in the west, cremation and burial, are both terrible for the environment, so in this episode Katie talks about better methods for body disposal.
BTWs include voodoo dolls, capitalism and cannibalism.
In the moment of meta Alex talks about enthusiasm for… pigeons?
Marine Animals – Why Sea Otters Are The Assholes Of The Sea
Guest enthusiast Jo Gudman Rasmussen shares her passion for all kinds of marine animals from nudibranchs (giggle!) to whale sharks.
Alex has all his dreams shattered when he learns that sea otters are not adorable – they are in fact the assholes of the ocean.
BTWs include: Quitting your job to follow your enthusiasm, the fly named after RuPaul and how to eat a still-living octopus (hint: chew it REALLY well).