Ultramarathons: Extreme running and the nutcases who enjoy it
Mark Dowds was out of shape and nearing 40 when he discovered ultra-marathons and has now run several dozen of them. Mark tells us what it’s like to run 50km (or 75 or 100 or more!) in steep terrain and challenging conditions, the extreme emotions you experience and how he maintains his enthusiasm for both training and competing.
Mark originally hails from Belfast and built a career as a tech entrepreneur in Toronto, Vancouver and Silicon Valley.
BTWs include Guinness, gummy bears and the monarchy.
Moment of meta
In the moment of meta Katie gives three tips for how you can enjoy being bad at stuff.
- Mark Dowds’ new company Responsible which aims to make the fashion industry more sustainable
- Mark’s podcast, Responsible Rebels
- Christopher Macdougall’s book, Born to Run
- Courtney Dauwalter
- The Barkley Marathons
- Slow Burn by Stu Middleman
- Katie reacting to her old dance videos
- Jameela al Jamil and the iWeigh community