Alex loves weightlifting and Katie is completely uninterested in sports. Will he manage to infect her with any of his enthusiasm? Hear about the drama, the poetry and the history of this niche sport.
It’s also probably the most corrupt sport in the world and is trying to go clean after decades dominated by a man who was almost cartoonishly evil.
But how can you not love a sport where the two lifts are called the snatch and the clean and jerk.
In the moment of meta Katie reveals a deep, shameful secret: She’s been keeping a gratitude journal… and it works!
- Nadezhda Nguyen performs a snatch
- Lu Xioajun performs a world record clean and jerk
- Rocky Horror Picture Show: I Can Make You A Man
- Lasha Talakhadze’s world record 225kg snatch
- David Katoatau lifts, fails and dances
- What weightlifters used to wear (but thankfully don’t any more)
- How gratitude changes your brain
- Robert Emmons: Gratitude and well-being, summary of findings